pillow set

pillow set

Monday, May 16, 2011

Lone Star State of Mind

How do four months go by without a blog post?  Quickly!  I apologize for my absence...I have been busy with client projects and teaching (last month in Las Vegas) and coordinating some upcoming seminars in July and September.  But I am back to the blog!

We recently installed a wonderful cornice and traversing drapery panel project for a client who is both a friend and neighbor.  Her newly constructed home has a Texas/lodge theme throughout and it has been fun working together to design and create window treatments for her.  She has a wonderful eye for design and collectibles and she knows her preferences very well.  She is quick to select designs and fabrics and is extremely creative in her selections and ideas.

The project below is the rendering I created for the study in their home.  With a large window facing the front yard, she requested traversing drapery panels for privacy and light control topped with a shaped cornice with nailhead accents at the bottom cornice edge and in a star shape at the center.



Not shown in the rendering are the nailheads that would embellish the hem shape.  The drawing shows the numerous measurements that I needed in order to make sure the proportions worked well in the room.  The cornice is 106" wide, and 28" at the longest point (the outer edges) and 15" at the highest (short) point. 

When a cornice has this many curves and varying long and short points, it is important to make a paper template and carefully plan the spacing for each nailhead, so that the nailheads can follow the curves, bends and corners and match evenly on each side of the cornice.  These nails were almost 1" in diameter, and I wanted to have some open space between them so that they did not overtake the cornice.



I wanted to use slightly closer spacing on the nailheads for the star shape, so that it did not become too spread out.  It took some planning to make sure there would be a pointed edge at the tip of each star point, yet to not have the nails closest to the points overlap or abut each other too closely.

In order to visualize the spacing using the actual nailheads, I drew out the cornice edge, marked the spacing and inserted the nailheads into a piece of Firmaflex.  In this way, I could see the nailheads upright and inserted and check the spacing for any needed adjustments.  When I liked the layout, I began to insert the nails into the cornice.



Here is a photo of the faux suede cornice and drapery panels installed.  You can see the Texas theme carried out elsewhere in the study, can't you? Yes, those are horns on the chair on the right side of the photo.  Don't you love the open frame with a decorative plate hung in the center (to the left of the stacked suitcases)? 



Additionally, the exterior of the home is a putty/tan color, so we used a putty lining on the draperies and cornice.  Using a tan lining coordinates well with the exterior of the home and blends more evenly.  A stark white lining would have a more severe finished look and could look a little jarring across the exterior of the home.  This tan lining looks great, and matches the lining we have used on the guest bedroom upstairs.  I will post a photo of the exterior and some closeup photos soon.

The next project for this home is the dining room, which will include another cornice accented with antique iron gate hardware and cafe curtains.  The homeowner has also given me a vintage mail carrier's bag that we will work into two valances for another room.  Like I said, she has innovative and creative ideas and is very fun to work on projects with!

Thanks for reading!
Susan