wave tucks

wave tucks

Thursday, June 23, 2011

New Valance Samples on Display

I recently installed a couple of valance samples at my favorite local upholstery shop in Houston - Jack Johnson Upholstery.  Located on W. 34th Street between N. Shepherd and Ella, this family owned upholstery shop offers high quality detailed service at reasonable rates and a reliable turnaround time.  I have used Jack Johnson Upholstery for my own personal projects and have recommended them to clients, family and neighbors; they do a terrific job!

They were gracious enough to agree to showcase a couple of sample valances in their showroom.  This is a great opportunity for exposure, and also was a challenge for me to decide on fabrics, trims, design ideas, etc.  When the usual constraints of projects for an actual home are removed (privacy, light control, existing furnishing styles and colors), it can be challenging to decide on a finished treatment style!



For the stationary roman shade style above, I selected a velvet paisley fabric, accented with open scallops outlined in black silk microcording and with a gold pleated silk inset inside of the scallops.  I love the contrast and I adore the regimented pleats lined up inside the scallop openings.


The close up photo above shows the pleated detail and microcording.  The black cording and "puff" accents are a striking and strong contrast, which is not shown well in this photo at all.  I guess my flash washed out the rich colors...boo!


The purchased trim is fun and I love the amber accents.  Shown above is the original trim which was used at the hem of the shade.  I cut apart the "puff" accents and removed the round top bead and glued two components together to create the accents at each scallop's closure.  I love rearranging and layering trims and this was a great way to repurpose the original trim.

Another sample on display is this lined and interlined silk valance.  With clean lines and a pleat at each corner, your attention is focused on the black grosgrain ribbon applied in a decorative pattern.  This is a wonderful way to use minimal fabric in a simple design, but still obtain a custom and interesting design.


Hope you enjoyed the latest projects!

Susan

1 comment: