wave tucks

wave tucks

Friday, October 3, 2014

Playroom becomes a Teen Room

One of my clients contacted me after SK Designs had completed work in her kitchen, daughter's room, study and master bathroom.  She was ready to update her kids' playroom to become a "Teen Room" for the kids to study in, watch TV and hang out with friends in. Her priority was that the room be updated, comfortable and attractive to both boys and girls.

The room has two very large sets of windows.  Shown below is the smaller side window before we got started.  The walls were a pretty pale blue, accented with hand painted stars and an inside mounted lambrequin style cornice treatment, which was recessed in the inset windows and mounted close to the glass. The window in the photo below is about 106" wide. The front window is even larger.


The homeowner replaced all the windows in the house and removed the existing metal protection bars, and added new pleated shades to provide light control and privacy, as well as to reduce the glare on the TV in the room.  The new windows and shades look great inside and out!

We debated whether the new treatments should be mounted inside the window area (as they had been previously) or above and outside the window opening, on the wall.  We would be adding comfy window seat cushions for the kids to sit on while they were reading or studying.

My client had the room painted a different shade of blue and added a fun rug with chocolate brown, cream, green and blue circles accents in a variety of sizes.


We decided on outside mount cornices with a shaped hem and contrast banding and cording. We would also have plush 4" high density window seat cushions which were wrapped in Dacron for extra softness and loft. There were 3 cushions on the front window, to tie in with the breaks of the windows and also to allow for flipping the cushions in case of a spill or stain. The side window had 2 cushions. The cushions were made in a great chocolate brown and blue check fabric with a contrast brown velvet cording. They are soft and super comfortable.

Several pillows were included, in a variety of fabrics and styles, to add comfort, interest and color to the seats.

Here are the fabrics we used; it looks like a lot of fabrics! But the room is large and could easily accommodate a variety of fabrics, textures and trims. We used a mix of taupe, browns, greens, and blues. I love this combination of fabrics together.


Here is the newly installed cornice on the large window.  This cornice was 155" long - a big beast!  I opted not to hinge this cornice for transportation.  I knew I would be able to move it out of my workroom and into the client's home without having to use a hinge.  But it was bigger than my 12 foot long work table, so I did have to add side tables to my workspace so that I could work on the cornices effectively.


I really do like the effect that the outside mounted cornice has in taking advantage of the height in the room and also creating a cozy seating area for reading or studying.

Hope you enjoyed this project!

Susan

2 comments:

  1. I have just finished a cornice board that is 164" long. The front is 8", the top is 9" as it is going over a double traverse rod. I am wondering what type or size brackets to use to hang this thing. I am planning on asking my installer what to do, but I am wondering what you used on your project. Thank you. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy - I just now saw your post and am probably far too late to help you! We used 3" brackets since the cornice was made using a 1x4 wood dustboard.

    ReplyDelete